Doug Funk, retired pharmacist and former owner of Funk Pharmacy in Concordia, was named today as the 2021 Kansas recipient of the Bowl of Hygeia.
The Bowl of Hygeia is the most prestigious award in all of pharmacy. Established in 1958, the Bowl of Hygeia Award recognizes pharmacists who possess outstanding records of civic leadership in their communities and encourages pharmacists to take active roles in their communities.
Funk currently lives in Lawrence, but practiced for most of his professional career in Concordia where he dedicated the majority of his adult life to bettering his community and pharmacy profession. Funk is a mentor, friend, leader, and tireless champion. During his pharmacy career, he took on several leadership roles in pharmacy- and community-based organizations, including:
- The Cloud County Community College Scholarship Foundation Board
- Cloud County Health Center Board of Trustees
- Past KPhA President
- Past KPF President
- Chamber of Commerce Member
- Chamber Business and Businessman of the Year
- Founding Member for Cloud Corporation - which is an economic development entity for Cloud County and North Central Kansas
- Board of Directors for KU. School of Business Red Tire Program
- Member of the Deans Club at KU. School of Pharmacy
- Founding Member of Cloud County Community Foundation founded in 2002. The foundation has over $9 million, which assists non-profit groups in Cloud County.
Funk was introduced by Robb Rosenbaum, who purchased Funk Pharmacy from him.